Job Code: 20/2020
Job offer from August 13, 2020
The Max-Planck-Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics (MPE) in Garching (near Munich), Germany is one of the world’s leading institutes for the development and operation of state-of-the-art astronomical instruments. Over the past years, MPE has been leading the international development of several major space- and ground based instruments, including XMM-Newton, Herschel, eROSITA, EUCLID, GRAVITY VLT ESO telescopes, the ARGOS laser guide star for the LBT. In addition, we will contribute in a major fashion to ESA’s next large space mission ATHENA with the Wild Field Imager (WFI) instrument and with the first light instrument MICADO for ESO’s European Extremely Large Telescope (E-ELT).
We are looking for a Press Officer (m/f/d) for our press and public relations team as soon as possible. Job code: 20/2020.
The successful candidate will join the team responsible for public outreach and external relations at the MPE, whose responsibilities include:
- Preparing public information about MPE and our projects (such as the annual report, brochures, flyers) including collation of the statistics for the annual report, and contributing information about MPE to reports of the Max-Planck-Society and other related organisations (e.g. Astronomische Gesellschaft)
- Collecting information from the MPE Departments and supporting the preparation of documentation and reports for the MPE Scientific advisory board (SAB; every 3 years) and Kuratorium (annual), and supporting the organisation of the SAB and Kuratorium meetings.
- Supporting the scientific groups in creating info-graphics and animations/short films to advertise scientific results to the general public
- Preparing press releases and other media material describing major new scientific results or other noteworthy developments at the Institute, and create corresponding MPE web pages
- Creating and maintaining social media pages to advertise MPE activities, and developing a social media strategy
- Organizing public events at MPE e.g. for visitor groups and events for the public (e.g. MPE Open House, Girls Day, tours and visits)
- Answering questions about MPE received from the general public
- Collecting requests for internships and organising internship visits
- Successfully completed studies (university degree/master), preferably in the fields of astrophysics, communication, public relations or a comparable field
- Experience in the field of social and digital media
- Ability to present scientific issues in a way appropriate for different target groups
- A high degree of creativity, independence, organisational talent, teamwork and commitment
- Excellent written and oral communication in German and English
- Very good knowledge in handling text and image processing programs
- Work in the attractive international environment of an interdisciplinary research institute of the Max Planck Society and in a friendly and team-oriented working environment
- Regular participation in job-oriented further education and training courses
- Childcare through partnership with a nearby childcare facility
- Use of company prevention offers in the health sector
- Use of our Job Ticket and other campus services
The employment is initially limited to two years, with the possibility of extension and further career within the press office team.
Salaries will be based on previous experience according to the German pay scale for civil service (TVöD) including health insurance and other social benefits.
Applicants should submit their documents (in PDF format) online by October 31, 2020 including a cover letter and a curriculum vitae.
Prospective applicants can contact Prof. Dr. Paola Caselli for further information by email (email@example.com).
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.