X-ray spectral fitting methods workshop
- When: 24-25. September 2019
- Where: Max Planck Institute for extraterrestrial Physics, Garching, Germany
- Who: 44 participants. Speakers: Johannes Buchner, J Michael Burgess, Joern Wilms, Jeremy Sanders, Konrad Dennerl
Video recordings, Slides & Links
The full workshop is available on YouTube:
Use the Youtube description text to jump to specific talks.
- wilms_linear.pdf: X-ray astronomy basics: motivation, mirrors & detectors, (linear) data model, ARF&RMF, pile-up, forward-folding.
- buchner.pdf: Welcome, basic count statistics, Cash/Chi², Backgrounds, Likelihoods, Bayes theorem, Parameter space exploration algorithms (local and global optimizers, MCMC, nested sampling), best fit distributions, posterior distributions, model comparison methods, simulations for calibrating decisions, low-count spectra, practical pointers
- wilms_minimization.pdf: Understanding Levenberg-Marquardt Minimization.
- burgess.pdf: Backgrounds (from fits, gaussian, poisson, per-bin), Significance/signal-to-noise ratios, multi-wavelength fits, likelihood ratios, Wilks' theorem, component detection, chi² & degrees of freedom, posterior predictive checks, residuals, stacking data vs information, hierarchical models.
- wilms_optimal_binning.pdf: Optimal binning of RMFs (Kaastra & Bleeker, 2016, A&A 587, A151)
- sanders.pdf: X-ray spectral fitting in 2D
- dennerl.pdf: Calibration uncertainties, Randomization, PHA to PI
Links & Papers
- X-rays in general
- Statistics in general
- Statistics + X-rays
- Surangkhana Rukdee for taking videos and photos
- Frau Rochner (MPE) for organising seminar room & coffee breaks
- Maria Depner (MPE) for helping find guest accomodation
- Birgit Boller (MPE) for helping organising
- Kirpal Nandra (MPE) for patronage
- Herr Burghardt (MPE) for video recording equipment
- The participants for interesting discussions!